I gave a talk at the Tunbridge Wells WordPress Meetup tonight about SEO with WordPress, which plugins to use and how they can help. Covering All-in-One SEO, Yoast, TinyPNG, WP Super Cache, and much more.
Here is the slide deck from the presentation:
- No really, it is hard, I’m not making it up.
- WordPress has nothing directly to do with SEO
- Depends on coding
- Depends on content
- Ability to get inbound links
- Content is king!!! It really is.
- Without content, there is nothing for the search engine to see.
- Good, high quality, UNIQUE content
- You are nothing without good content
- WordPress Plugins can help.
- But only if the theme is done right.
- Covers the SEO basics.
- Does all the basics you need, e.g. titles, descriptions, social, etc…
- Pro version available, does a bit more, WooCommerce, Videos, etc… but is pretty pricey.
- By far the most popular SEO plugin.
- While it too covers the basics, like All-in-One SEO Pack, it also has some great CMS features.
- Social media tags (Facebook and Twitter) added automatically, including a “linked data” (JSON+LD) used by Google Knowledge
- Automatically generates robots.txt and sitemap.xml files.
- Be careful with taxonomy, archive, author, etc… sitemap pages.
- Premium version available, not sure it is worth it.
- Most people ignore the important part of Yoast.
- The setup wizard sets up good default, use it.
- People ignore these or are even annoyed by their existence in the pages and posts lists.
- Many people ask us if we can “remove them” or “hide them”.
- They are trying to tell you something important, so don’t ignore, fix!
- For each page and post define a focus
keyword / phraseor words / phrases(if using pro) for that content.
- Read the suggestions and act on them. Get as many
- Gives you information about how “readable” the page or post is.
- Again, get as many green as possible and adjust the content as required.
- If most / all your content is in advanced custom fields (ACF), then you need this Yoast plugin to make sure the previous two work with your content.
- It is just an install. There is no configuration required.
- There are some additional “paid” for plugins for Yoast
- Additional stuff for WooCommerce sites
- Additional stuff for News sites
- For sites with lots of videos
- Whilst Yoast is great, it is free and they want something for it, they add comments to your HTML that advertise Yoast!!!
- Install “Remove Yoast SEO Comments” plugin to remove these.
- Redirection is a great plugin for easily adding 301 redirects to a site.
- Helpful for fixing issues from Google Search Console.
- Automatically compresses uploaded images using TinyPNG.
- Work for both PNG and JPEG.
- Compress is industry leading.
- 500 free compresses per month.
- Paid service, relatively cheap, less than 1 cent per image.
- Remember, one image upload might result in many more versions of the image.
- Caches your site pages to improve load speed dramatically.
- By WordPress creators Automattic.
- Other caching options are available.